Even before the founding of the G.A.A. in 1884 Hurling and Football were an established pastime in Templenoe. Hurling was by far the stronger of the two codes until the 1920’s. However, since then football has taken pride of place and hurling is no longer played in the club.
The club was founded in 1933 but did not affiliate to the G.A.A. until 1938. The first meeting was held in the Merino House with Dan O’ Reilly and P.D.M. O’ Sullivan elected chairman and secretary respectively. Joe O’ Neill was made treasurer, a position he held for the next 33 years.
A club was formed in the Blackwater area west of Templenoe in 1942, but in 1958 this club amalgamated with Templenoe.
Up until 1954 the club did not have its own playing field. In that year a local farm was divided up by the land commission. The club acquired one of the fields set in a beautiful location between Cos Strand and Dromore wood. The field was levelled in the 1970’s and dressing rooms and toilets completed in 1991.
The club had many victories over the years in Kenmare district board competitions but the highlight of the playing successes was the winning of the Kerry County Novice title in 1973 and the Junior County Championship in 1975. Nine Templenoe players won Senior Kerry County Championship medals in 1974.
Many outstanding players have worn the blue and white jersey over the years, but the three Spillane brothers, Pat, Mike and Tom take pride of place. Between them they hold 23 All-Ireland football medals in Minor, Under 21 and Senior grades, a record no family has equalled, and few if any will surpass. Their late father, Tom, also played for Kerry and Munster.
Get in Touch
Templenoe GAA, Dromore, Greenane, Killarney, V93 E12F